Friday, August 1, 2014

2 years and a redo

Yall, first things first. Have we established I'm a frugal lady? Is that a nice way of saying I'm cheap. LIKE legit Cheap. Surely if you read this, you know me--and that's not a big secret or anything.

I dream of beautiful-ness in the form of Ethan Allen Furniture. Maybe its my grandma's house-full of it collection that has given me the partial-ness to appreciate it. But something about that gorgeous detail and craftsmanship makes my heart flutter. 
For serious, LOOK AT THOSE LEGS!!! 
 
Like this beautiful detail...

Anyways, one look at that and you realize its an investment. A good one, albeit one I'm not ready to make at this point in my life. 

So I settle for the next best thing...trash finds! 

Rewind 2 years, Bobby and I were making our final run at our townhouse packing up the last of the stuff to move into this house and we pulled in and there was a dresser at the dumpster. I don't know if Bobby slammed on the breaks in the midst of my scream or shortly thereafter, but right there outside the dumpster was a 100% wood, gorgeous (well sort of) Ethan Allen Piece. My heart skilled three beats and I could barely get it in our truck bed fast enough. (Have we talked about how much I appreciate my truck man?!)

Well we brought it home, and it sat....and sat...and sat...I didn't know what I wanted to do with it. I didn't know if I wanted to stain it, or paint it or a combo and I was busy doing all kinds of other things so it got put on the back burner. 
It lived in our dining room for an extended period of time...

Then we moved it to the entry way where its been hanging out. ('d like to say this is probably its forever home, but we play musical furniture like we change our underwear in this house and usually around Christmas (to accommodate our 4+ trees) things move and find new homes for the next year. )

But it hung and hung, and every once in awhile, Id remind myself out loud, without any action that we needed to do something with it. And then it would sit for another few months....


(so i tried batch editing in Photoshop for the first time....yea....no so much fun)


But you see that this baby had seen better days and needed lots of TLC


My maternity leave was sort of wonderful, especially because my husband was home with me for several weeks. (ONE of the FEW perks of marrying a coach...summers off) Him being home let me cross some things off my ultimate to do list--and I finally decided refinishing this would make me happy. 

I decided I wanted to just stain in darker. And if we are being honest, I wanted it even darker, but I was tired of the waiting game and house projects with a baby are done on her time. I also knew I wanted new hardware but am quite possibly the most indecisive person on the face of the planet, so consider this the 99% done dresser--I think the painted hardware looks cheap, but Momma's got little time to shop HobLob these days. 

We are still searching for what I want....



And what would any fun project finish picture be without a picture of my helper Boss. 


So for now, this is our bright and happy entry way, and my little piece of Ethan Allen....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...